I was in love, then, with monsters and skeletons and circuses
and carnivals and dinosaurs and, at last, the red planet, Mars.
From these primitive bricks I have built a life and a career. By
my staying in love with all of these amazing things, all of the good
things in my existence have come about.
In other words, I was not embarrassed at circuses. Some
people are. Circuses are loud, vulgar, and smell in the sun. By the
time many people are fourteen or fifteen, they have been divested
of their loves, their ancient and intuitive tastes, one by one, until
when they reach maturity there is no fun left, no zest, no gusto,
no flavor. Others have criticized, and they have criticized themselves, into embarrassment. When the circus pulls in at five of a
dark cold summer morn, and the calliope sounds, they do not rise
and run, they turn in their sleep, and life passes by.
I did rise and run. I learned that I was right and everyone else
wrong when I was nine. Buck Rogers arrived on scene that year,
and it was instant love. I collected the daily strips, and was
madness maddened by them. Friends criticized. Friends made
fun. I tore up the Buck Rogers strips. For a month I walked
through my fourth-grade classes, stunned and empty. One day I
burst into tears, wondering what devastation had happened to
me. The answer was: Buck Rogers. He was gone, and life simply
wasn't worth living. The next thought was: Those are not my
friends, the ones who got me to tear the strips apart and so tear my
own life down the middle; they are my enemies.
Ray Bradbury, from "Drunk, and In Charge of a Bicycle"


No comments:
Post a Comment