"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

27 July 2026

Lineage.


As each of us dwindles in size by comparison to the cosmic stretches of space and of time, our individual lives, our improbable existence becomes more and more important. With the understanding of my great good fortune, I also feel a sense of responsibility. But to whom, or to what, am I responsible? Not the universe, which is without mind. And not the huge number of human beings who could have been but never were. I can hardly be responsible to people who do not exist. I believe it is a responsibility to myself—to not waste my precious life.

Eight or nine years old. Riding my bike home in the dark.  No street lights.  Pedaling, I looked up ... and immediately stopped.  Stars beyond stars.  I felt so small but a part of that vastness.  I was alive!  

Even then, I remember my thoughts flooded with the link in the chain that I was a part of.  Family.  Those who came before.  My Mum made them a part of our family prayer a the start of every meal.  Lineage.  A chain is only as strong ...

No comments: