"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

16 January 2022

Ways.


Adults follow paths. Children explore. Adults are content to walk the same way, hundreds of times, or thousands; perhaps it never occurs to adults to step off the paths, to creep beneath rhododendrons, to find the spaces between fences. I was a child, which meant that I knew a dozen different ways of getting out of our property and into the lane, ways that would not involve walking down our drive.

Neil Gaiman, from The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Thanks to my student, Phoebe, who sent me this quote.  She always finds ways and is really good at patiently reminding me that they're out there.

No comments: