"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

18 January 2022

Happy Birthday, Milne



A.A. Milne was born on this date in 1882.

One fine day Pooh had stumped up to the top of the Forest to see if his friend Christopher Robin was interested in Bears at all. At breakfast that morning (a simple meal of marmalade spread lightly over a honeycomb or two) he had suddenly thought of a new song. It began like this: 

    “Sing Ho! For the life of a Bear.” 

    When he had got as far as this, he scratched his head, and thought to himself “That's a very good start for a song, but what about the second line?” He tried singing “Ho,” two or three times, but it didn't seem to help. “Perhaps it would be better,” he thought, “if I sang Hi for the life of a Bear.” So he sang it... but it wasn't. “Very well, then,” he said, “I shall sing that first line twice, and perhaps if I sing it very quickly, I shall find myself singing the third and fourth lines before I have time to think of them, and that will be a Good Song. Now then:
Sing Ho! for the life of a Bear! 
Sing Ho! for the life of a Bear! 
I don't much mind if it rains or snows, 
'Cos I've got a lot of honey on my nice new nose! 
I don't much care if it snows or thaws, 
'Cos I've got a lot of honey on my nice clean paws! 
Sing Ho! for a Bear! 
Sing Ho! for a Pooh! 
And I'll have a little something in an hour or two! 
    He was so pleased with this song that he sang it all the way to the top of the Forest, “and if I go on singing it much longer,” he thought, “it will be time for the little something, and then the last line won't be true.” So he turned it into a hum instead. 

    Christopher Robin was sitting outside his door, putting on his Big Boots. As soon as he saw the Big Boots, Pooh knew that an Adventure was going to happen, and he brushed the honey off his nose with the back of his paw, and spruced himself up as well as he could, so as to look Ready for Anything.

No comments: