"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

24 November 2023

Joy.


Herring is joy in a jar.

Your indoctrination begins ...
  • From My Jewish Learning: Purists maintain that the best way to eat herring is straight out of the jar with a thick slice of rye bread and butter.
  • Each week David Zabar, the third generation of Zabars working in the family business, travels to Greenpoint to choose barrels of herring and, more important in today's market, smoked fish.  "When I stick my hand in the barrels to feel the plumpness of the herring, I feel like I am going back to the time of my grandfather,'' he said.
  • Acme has a glossary.
Thanks, Pop.  The tradition continues.

No comments: