"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 January 2023

Sacred.


Allison Ijams Sargent attempts to map Heaven ...
If our universe is mappable, my student’s logic went, then everything, including heaven should be represented. Why couldn’t we find it? My students wanted one more rectangle on the board. I wanted to honor them, because they are so deserving of my honor, but could only answer: “I don’t know where to put it.”

I, too, wanted a place where there were celestial alternatives to the abrupt and final answers on my flimsy handout, to find the space my students had the capacity to imagine. But for now, all I had to offer was what we had right then and there: a space that contained everything that was sacred to me. 

Thank you, Jessica. 

No comments: