"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

20 January 2012

Luck.

Springmann, Georgia O'Keeffe, 1974


Thirty-seven years is a long time to carry a small smooth stone.

“I’m still carrying the flat, black stone that artist Georgia O’Keeffe gave to me in 1974, the one she picked up near the gate of her Ghost Ranch studio in Abiquiu, New Mexico, just before she said good-bye after our remarkable photography session one day in September,” remembers Christopher Springmann.

“Here, you keep this one . . . it’ll bring you luck,” O’Keeffe said laughing to me, pressing the stone in my hand, then carefully curling my fingers around the cool object. I looked at her hands, then glanced up, leaning over to kiss her the check. “How sweet ...,” she said, feigning embarrassment, with a twinkle in her eye and a smile to break your heart.


Read the rest at Life, Love, & Health.

No comments: