"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

29 October 2023

Difference.


Instead of becoming a devotee of popular culture, expose students to what they are not familiar with, in particular, high art and music.   Students inhabit popular culture.  Treat them to High Culture, even to "high seriousness." "Mr. Pickering," a student said to me last year, don't you realize there is a generation gap, maybe two gaps, between you and our class?" "Oh, no," I said, widening my eyes.  "I can't believe that."  The truth is that in addition to teaching writing and reading, math and science, you should expose students to difference.  Children grow by comparing the familiar with the unfamiliar.  Be what you are rather than what you think students want you to be.  As you age, you will discover that you will believe less and marvel more, something that will separate you from your students. 

Sam Pickering, from Letters From a Teacher

No comments: