"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

30 March 2022

Happy Birthday, van Gogh

van Gogh, Olive Trees, 1889


Vincent van Gogh was born on this day in 1853.

From van Gogh's letter to his brother, Theo, May 7, 1882 ...
Today I met Mauve and had a very regrettable conversation with him which made it clear to me that Mauve and I have parted ways for ever. Mauve has gone so far that he can’t retract it, or at least certainly wouldn’t want to. I asked him to come and see my work and talk things over afterwards. Mauve refused outright, "I certainly won’t come to see you, it’s over and done with".

In the end he said, "you have a vicious character".  At that point I turned around – it was in the dunes – and walked home alone.

Mauve blames me for saying, I’m an artist – which I won’t take back, because those words naturally imply always seeking without ever fully finding. It’s the exact opposite of saying, "I know it already, I’ve already found it".  To the best of my knowledge, those words mean "I seek, I pursue, my heart is in it". I do have ears, Theo – if someone says " you have a vicious character’, what should I do? I turned around and went back alone, but with great sorrow in my heart because Mauve dared to say that to me. I won’t ask him to explain such a thing to me, nor will I apologize.

No comments: