"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

19 June 2017

Pass.

Rembrandt, Monk Reading, 1661


When evening has come, I return home and go into my study. On the threshold I strip off my muddy, sweaty, workday clothes, and I put on the robes of court and palace, and in this graver dress I enter the antique courts of the ancients and am welcomed by them, and there I taste the food that alone is mine, for which I was born. There I make bold to speak with them and to ask the motives for their actions, and they, in their humanity, reply to me. And for the space of four hours I forget the world, remember no vexations, fear poverty no more, tremble no more at death: I pass into their world.

Niccolò Machiavelli

No comments: