"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

24 November 2013

Grace.


Age Sixty-nine

I keep waiting without knowing 

what I'm waiting for. 
I saw the setting moon at dawn 

roll over the mountain 

and perhaps into the dragon's mouth 

until tomorrow evening.

There is this circle I walk 

that I have learned to love. 
I hope one day to be a spiral 

but to the birds I'm a circle.

A thousand Spaniards died looking 

for gold in a swamp when it was 

in the mountains in clear sight beyond.

Here, though, on local earth my heart 

is at rest as a groundling, letting 

my mind take flight as it will, 

no longer waiting for good or bad news.

Often, lately, the night is a cold maw 

and stars the scattered white teeth of the gods, 

which spare none of us. At dawn I have birds, 

clearly divine messengers that I don't understand 

yet day by day feel the grace of their intentions.

Jim Harrison

No comments: