"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

27 June 2012

"Hears."


“I’ve never seen color and I don’t know what color looks like. I come from a grayscale world,” says artist Neil Harbisson, to gasps from the audience. Yet this is not an “oh me miserum” story. Instead, Harbisson is here to tell us that in 2003, he started a collaborative project to create an electronic eye to help him detect the color frequency in front of him. In other words, he now “hears” color via a camera attached to the back of neck and extending over his forehead. More gasps.

He demonstrates, projecting the sound of purple, the sound of grass, and then, well, then the sound of a dirty sock. And then he explains how he went about learning about color ...


Read the rest at TED.

No comments: