"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

26 June 2012

Richness.


One of my first restaurant jobs.

Umberto's.

A rotisserie the size of a garage door.

Learning about wine.

Writing menus.

Cantaloupe sorbetto.

One night, after we were closed, the owner, Mike, came up to me and said, "Leave the back table set up. A friend of mine is coming in for dinner and I want you to meet him."

That night I sat and ate dinner with Mike and Chef Seifert. This was my first face-to-face meeting with a god. I had known the wonders of his Gourmet Market and Spagio, but now I was sitting at this guy's table. He was pouring me wine.

I remember the butter. I was astounded by the amount of butter he put on his bread. He had a whole chicken from the rotisserrie, a loaf of French bread, butter, and a bottle of chardonnay ( I wish I could remember the label).

I don't remember what we talked about, I just remember how much he enjoyed every single morsel of that meal.

I was learning ...

Chef was recently interviewed by Traveling Taste Buds ...

One ingredient you couldn’t live without and why?

HS: Butter. You can finish any dish with just a spoonful of butter. It adds richness and beautiful flavor – you can’t beat that.

Must have kitchen supply or utensil in your kitchen:

HS: Big, oval, heavy-duty cast-iron pot, made by French manufacturer, Staub. I own two, but only use one. All you need is a burner and this pot and you can cook anything, from stews and soups, to sauces and roasts.

What can always be found in your refrigerator?

HS: Double-smoked slab of bacon I get from Albert, owner of Thurn’s Specialty Meats. Thurns cold-smokes the bacon and I cut the slab at home. This is the best place to get meat. They do it right and they have the real smokers, versus so many of the over-processed, machine-manufactured meat. Other items: onions and heavy bread, like a pumpernickel or a rye, but heavier.

Read the rest here.

No comments: