"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

12 August 2026

Study.

James Prosek wades the introspective waters of Izaak Walton in his documentary, The Complete Angler ...

When I'm on the small Connecticut brooks of my youth, I want to be innocent again. I think of sleepouts and thick pine forests, clear running water, garden worms, diminutive flies, and first kisses with a freckle-faced girl.  These are my best memories, along with days angling for wild trout.  The brook, with all its colors and sounds, is an education, a place where I can learn about myself and other creatures, as well. 

Without even realizing it, it is in my early years of fishing I began to follow Isaac Walton's first philosophy: study to be quiet. 

No comments: