"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

07 January 2024

Imagine.

Coster, John Masefield, 1943


All that I looked upon was beautiful, and known by me to be beautiful, but also known by me to be, as it were, only the shadow of something much more beautiful, very, very near, and almost to be reached, where there was nothing but beauty itself in ecstasy, undying, inexhaustible.

I was sure that a greater life was near us: in dreams I sometimes seemed to enter a part of it, and woke with rapture and longing. Then, on one wonderful day, when I was a little more than five years old, I entered that greater life; and that life entered into me with a delight that I can never forget. I found that I could imagine imaginary beings complete in every detail with an incredible perfection, in a brightness not of this world.

John Masefield, from So Long to Learn

No comments: