"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

17 July 2022

Gloaming.

De Glehn, The Coming of Night, 1897


I

A pretty girl at time o' gloaming
Hath whispered me to go and meet her
    Without the city gate.

I love her, but she tarries coming.

Shall I return, or stay and greet her?
    I burn, and wait.

II

Truly she charmeth all beholders,
'Tis she hath given me this jewel,
    The jade of my delight;
But this red jewel-jade that smoulders,
To my desire doth add more fuel,
    New charms to-night.

III

She has gathered with her lily fingers
 A lily fair and rare to see.

Oh! sweeter still the fragrance lingers
 From the warm hand that gave it me.

Confucius

No comments: