"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

17 November 2012

Happy birthday, Lightfoot.

Gordon Lightfoot was born on this date in 1938.

The lake is blue, the sky is gray, the leaves have turned to gold
The wild goose will be on her way, the weather's much too cold
When the muskie and the old trout too have all gone down to rest
We will be returning to the things that we love best

Do you get that restless yearning when you think about your dad
And the scrimshaw that he had
Of an old schooner roving 'neath a sky that's ironclad

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it catches you off guard
As we gaze off in the distance through the trees in my back yard
I can feel the restless yearning of those geese as off they roam
Then trade that for a warm bed and a place I can call home

Will you get that restless yearning when you hear the wicked blast
Of a spectre from the past
Of a cold diesel rolling down a road that's built to last
Still I get that restless feeling when I hear a whistle blast
See an image from the past
Of an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast

- Gordon Lightfoot, from "Restless"

No comments: