"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

21 January 2011

Alive.

Georgia O'Keeffe, White Rose, 1927


One day a hummingbird flew in -- It fluttered against the window til I got it down where I could reach it with an open umbrella -- When I had it in my hand it was so small I couldn't believe I had it -- but I could feel the intense life -- so intense and so tiny --

... You were like the humming bird to me ...

And I am rather inclined to feel that you and I know the best part of one another without spending much time together -- It is not that I fear the knowing -- It is that I am at this moment willing to let you be what you are to me -- it is beautiful and pure and very intensely alive.


- Georgia O'Keeffe

No comments: