Outdoor Deutscher-types relied on landjäger as trail snacks during seasonal migrations to high pastures, carrying it as a provision that endured long journeys and harsh conditions. Like jerky, it was easy to carry easy in pockets or packs, ideal for daily labor and prolonged herding practices in Germany.
Landjäger is a German smoked hunter's sausage typically made from a blend of pork and beef, mixed with pork fat, and heavily seasoned with garlic, caraway seed, coriander, and black pepper. It's traditionally was paired with simple accompaniments such as rye bread, cheeses, and beer, enjoyed in taverns or, as I was introduced by Grandma, a break called brotzeit.
I can remember weekends, all though out the year, while working at Grandma and Grandpa's house, mid-mornings and later in the afternoon, Grandma would pile a tray full of bread, cheese, pickles, sausage, nuts, pretzels, chocolate, and mugs (bottles of beer in her apron pockets -- I was allowed a sip of the foamy elixir for my efforts) and carry it out to us in the yard or the garage. The landjäger was always the first thing I went for.
Those were heady days.
The best landjäger (and many other necessaries) on the planet can be procured from Kern's in Frankenmuth.


No comments:
Post a Comment