"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

07 August 2021

From.


ANCESTORS

I’ve come here from the rocks, the bonelike chert,
            obsidian, lava rock. I’ve come here from the trees—
chestnut, bay laurel, toyon, acacia, redwood, cedar,
one thousand oaks
            that bend with moss and old man’s beard.
I was born on a green couch on Carriger Road between
            the vineyards and the horse pasture.
I don’t remember what I first saw, the brick of light
            that unhinged me from the beginning. I don’t remember
my brother’s face, my mother, my father.
            Later, I remember leaves, through car windows,
through bedroom windows, through the classroom window,
the way they shaded and patterned the ground, all that
            power from roots. Imagine you must survive
without running? I’ve come from the lacing patterns of leaves,
            I do not know where else I belong.

Ada Limón

No comments: