"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

08 February 2020

Depart.


Hemingway said, “start with something you know and go elsewhere.” And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. I do think there’s something wrong with “write only what you know.” But I don’t think it’s a bad idea to depart from something you feel strongly from your own life, or have seen, and you don’t really know its meaning. The reason you’re doing this work is to find out. At the end of that process, you have something that is extremely faulty. You’ve darted all over the place, but you’ve bought yourself a certain level of freedom by saying that you will enthusiastically revise. How else can you do it? I think people lie about knowing every step of the way.

Tom McGuane

No comments: