"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

08 February 2018

Important.


The music comes first.

There is an importance of serendipity, the faculty of making happy, chance discoveries.  

I was lucky enough to find poetry lying around and I picked it up and explored it for myself, while the rest of my family were and remain indifferent about it.  It's profoundly important for teachers and parents to leave things lying around, without pestering the child for a response.  Fill the background with wonderful things ... music, paintings, stories, books about science ... and then get out of the way and say nothing.

We can do that at home, but we can't do that in school these days. Every encounter has to be planned in advance and have a measurable outcome, and fit into a prescribed scheme of work.  It's almost a tragedy.

Philip Pullman

No comments: