"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

24 July 2017

Curious.


DRIVIN´´CROSS RUSSIA

Drivin´´cross Russia
In my flesh-colored Caddy
With my pet pig on the front seat
That I call Big Daddy
Had a tape in the player
Playin' yodellin´ Jimmie Rodgers
And a pennant on each antenna
From the Astros and the Dodgers

People are all so curious
They all stop and stare
I guess they never seen a pig
Rockin´ in a rockin' chair

I stopped into a farm town
A little like Lubbock
I met me a farmer
Who´s down on his luck
His tractor was hittin´
On two out of four
I pulled out my toolkit
Into it I tore

I told him the bad news
His crankshaft was gone
He invited me to dinner
Said my pig could come along

You take it as it comes
And leave it when it goes
You're quicker on your feet
Without a heavy load
You never know what's comin´
´Til it hits you in the back
You never know it´s gone
´Til it´s way on down the track

His wife she set the table
Hot potatoes and bread
She reminded me of someone
In a Tolstoy book I´d read
His daughters were pretty
They had bright shiny cheeks
I could feel her eyes playin´
Hide and go seek
He nodded to the daughter
Dressed in white petticoats
I swallowed so hard
The bread stuck in my throat

It was time to turn it in
I needed a little sleep
I went out to my Caddy
And climbed in the backseat
Just when I was dreamin´
Of a great big grocery store
I heard someone outside tappin´
Upon my Caddy door
I knew I´s in trouble
By the look in her eye
But I became an instant diplomat
And invited her inside

You take it as it comes
And leave it when it goes
You're quicker on your feet
Without a heavy load
You never know what's comin´
´Til it hits you in the back
You never know it´s gone
´Til it´s way on down the track

The next mornin´ at breakfast
Things were kinda quiet
You could hear the butter meltin´
On the cold butter knife
The farmer gave the signal
Through the door did break
All the neighbors and their relatives
With a big ol´ wedding cake
There was mandolins and accordions
Vodka and wine
I somehow felt I´d stumbled
Across the borderline

I accepted my fate
¨Cause I had no other choice
But I heard my homestate callin´ me
In a yodellin´ kind of voice
I grabbed my brand new bride
Said let´s vamos
I wished her family well
As they was gettin´ pretty loose
I gave that farmer my Caddy
So he could pull his plow
The boys back at the pool room
Will never believe me now

Hitchhikin´ across Russia
With my bride and pet pig
Thatś what I get for braggin´
And talkin’ all big
I´ll never bet my boss again
That I can make it on my own
He´ll know better next time
Just to leave well enough alone
Meanwhile me and Natasha
Gonna jump of at this palace
See if we can get directions
On the shortcut to Dallas

Joe Ely

Poetry.

No comments: