"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

24 July 2012

Happy Birthday, MacDonald.


John D. MacDonald was born on this date in 1916.

So let's suppose I'm slower by a half a step or a full step. Maybe I'm old enough and wise enough to move into positions where I don't need the speed. The only thing I know is that I am going to run out of luck in the future, just as I have in the past. And when I run out, I am going to have to make myself some luck. I know that what counts is the feeling I get when I make my own luck. The way I feel then is totally alive. In every dimension. In every possible way ... I have an addiction. I'm hooked on the smell, taste, and feel of the nearness of death and on the way I feel when I make my move to keep it from happening. If I knew I could keep it from happening, there'd be no taste to it at all.

- John D. MacDonald, from A Tan and Sandy Silence

Jimmy Buffett, "Incommunicado"

So when I finished the last line
I put the book by itself on the shelf
With my heart in it
Never wasting time takin' the right way home
I know you're never wastin' time
Findin' the right way home


No comments: