"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

04 February 2012

Youth.

In 1957 Mike Wallace interviewed Frank Lloyd Wright. They talked about religion, war, mercy killing, art, critics, his mile-high skyscraper, America's youth, sex, morality, politics, nature, and death ... it's still worth a listen.

WALLACE: Do you think that you are any less rebellious, less of a radical in your art and life, than you were a quarter of a century ago, Mr. Wright?

WRIGHT: That I'm more so. Only more quiet about it. (chuckles)

WALLACE: To what do you attribute your...

WRIGHT: Lauren McArthur, a very good friend of mine, once said to me, "Frank, here, you don't have to paint your shirt-front red and stand out on the street and holler about this," he said. And I began to think it over, and I think he is right. It is. You don't have to push hard, or talk loud, or in any way get up to defend what you believe in. If it is right, and if it is good, and it is sound it will defend you if you give it a chance. You don't have to push it. I've never pushed myself, I've never turned over my hand to get a client during my life; I have never sought publicity of any kind, I've yielded to it, because Duart Lewis came to me once when I was rolling a reporter down-hill in a kerosene barrel and doing all those things to get rid of him. "Frank" he said, "These boys have to live. Don't you understand? That you're bringing all this down on yourself just because you haven't got the wit to be kind to them and to see that they have to live just as well as you do; and they are sent out here to get something, and if they don't get it, then they get fired." He said, "It takes all kinds, Frank, to make the world" And so I began to give. Here I am giving again.

WALLACE: Yes, you are. And I want you to give, if you will, the answer to just one more question.

WRIGHT: Go ahead.

WALLACE: Are you afraid of death?

WRIGHT: Not at all. Walt Whitman is the guide on that; if you want to talk, to consult him -- read him.

WALLACE: Do you believe...

WRIGHT: Walt is a great friend.

WALLACE: Do you believe in personal ... in your personal immortality?

WRIGHT: Yes. You get so far, as I am immortal. I will be immortal. To me, young has no meaning, it's something you can do nothing about. Nothing at all. But youth is a quality, and if you have it, you never lose it. And when they put you into the box that's your immortality.

WALLACE: Mr. Wright, I thank you for spending this half hour with us.

WRIGHT: Well, you're welcome, I hope it's been of some interest...

WALLACE: It has indeed.

WRIGHT: ...to whoever has been listening. But I don't know.

Here is the interview ...

No comments: