"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

14 July 2011

Full.

Vallotton, Moonlight, 1894


Schubert, “Ständchen” (Serenade)

Gently my songs plead with you through the night;
Come down to me, my darling,
Here in the quiet grove.

Whispering tall treetops are
rustling in the light of the moon;
Do not fear, my dearest,
the hostile listening of the traitor.

Do you hear the song of the nightingales?
Ah, they beseech you.
With the sound of sweet complaints
they plead with you for me.

They comprehend the desires of the heart,
they know the pain of love,
they touch with silvery tones
every tender heart

Let your heart also be moved,
my sweetheart, listen to me!
Trembling I am waiting for you!
Come and make me happy!


Vladimir Horowitz performs ...

No comments: