"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

01 April 2017

Happy birthday, Rachmaninoff.


Sergei Rachmaninoff was born on this day in 1873.

The new kind of music seems to create not from the heart but from the head. Its composers think rather than feel. They have not the capacity to make their works exalt - they meditate, protest, analyze, reason, calculate and brood, but they do not exalt. I feel like a ghost wandering in a world grown alien. I cannot cast out the old way of writing and I cannot acquire the new. I have made an intense effort to feel the musical manner of today, but it will not come to me.

Sergei Rachmaninoff

The Choir of the Academy of Choral Art, under the direction of Vladimir Spivakov, performs The All-Night Vigil, Op. 37 ...

No comments: