"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

08 August 2016

Recreate.

“Today, there are only 30 people, including me, who are making a living as a sword maker,” says the Hokkaido-based Watanabe. “When I was younger I was making swords just because I loved it, but as I got older I started to think that I need to pass along the aesthetics and soul of the Japanese people through my swords.” This he seems to have accomplished against long odds, and in defiance of his practical-minded family’s wishes. “There are basically no instructions left to make Koto,” swords from the Heian and Kamakura periods which lasted from the year 794 to 1333. “It’s impossible to recreate the sword. However, that’s the kind that attracts me, and I’ve been trying to recreate it for 40 years.”


No comments: