"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

13 September 2020

Excellent.

An excellent documentary ...



Don't miss this discussion that Ethan Hawke and Seymour Bernstein have about the documentary Seymour: An Introduction ...


All serious artists begin by devoting their lives to a passion because they love it. Music isn’t a way of life for me, it is my life. So when I practice, I’m integrating my emotional, intellectual and physical worlds. Now if artists were conscious of doing that, they would direct that integration into their social world. Musicians train themselves to listen to what is coming out of their instrument, so that it matches what their inner world is experiencing. That teaches them to listen to people speaking in a very intense and involved fashion. There’s a correlation there. I think artists get into trouble or become neurotic when they don’t carry the hard-earned discipline from their art into the social world. Many try to do just the opposite by bringing the social world into their art. I don’t think that works because the social world is very unpredictable, but our art is very predictable. 

Seymour Bernstein

No comments: