"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

07 July 2020

Pursue.


Peter Bloemendaal interviews Pieter Jan Leusink on the occasion of his recording of the complete Bach sacred cantatas ...

PB: How would you characterize yourself as a conductor?

PJL: In any case, I am not someone who bothers about the question how Bach would have performed his music exactly. To me it feels rather derogatory towards Bach when people pretend to know how his music must have sounded. No one knows. There is no historic proof. What I myself think essential is imagination. I have brought in some ingredients I share with Bach: a boys’ choir, a church that resembles Thomaskirche, period instruments and musicians who are able to perform well on them. I know that Bach knew the problems of a boys’ choir: trebles mutating at a very inconvenient moment, trebles with various voice troubles. I am a no nonsense conductor. I do not want to spend hours on details. Like the famous Austrian soccer coach Ernst Happel used to say in his German Dutch to his players when they wanted to discuss details: “Kein Gelul! Fussball spielen!” ( “Cut the crap! Let’s play ball!”), my motto is: “Don’t fuss about trifles! Let’s make music!” That’s what our audience wants to hear and I want to please the audience. Do some people think I’m authoritarian? You tell me. But really, no, I don’t think I am. What I always try to achieve is to get the best out of every singer and musician. I am dependent of my performers. Each individual has to pursue his personal best, but you cannot make music with 24 soloists. 


Pieter Jan Leusink enthusiastically conducts The Bach Orchestra of the Netherlands, featuring Olga Zinovieva, in a performance of Mozart "Der Liebe himmlisches Gefühl", K. 119 (382h) ...



Pieter Jan Leusink is my new conducting hero.

No comments: