"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

18 October 2019

Rent.


TOWER of SONG

Well, my friends are gone and my hair is grey
I ache in the places where I used to play
And I'm crazy for love but I'm not comin' on.
I'm just payin' my rent every day in the Tower of Song

I said to Hank Williams "How lonely does it get?"
Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
Oh, a hundred floors above me in the Tower of Song

I was born like this, I had no choice
I was born with the gift of a golden voice
And twenty-seven angels from the Great Beyond,
They tied me to this table right here in the Tower of Song

So you can stick your little pins in that voodoo doll
I'm very sorry, baby, it doesn't look like me at all
I'm standin' by the window where the light is strong
Ah, they don't let a woman kill you, not in the Tower of Song

Now, you can say that I've grown bitter but of this you may be sure:
The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor
And there's a mighty Judgement comin' but I may be wrong
You see, I hear these funny voices in the Tower of Song

I see you standin' on the other side
I don't know how the river got so wide
I loved you, baby, way back when...
And all the bridges are burnin' that we might've crossed
But I feel so close to everything that we lost
We'll never, we'll never have to lose it again.

Now, I bid you farewell, I don't know when I'll be back
They're movin' us tomorrow to the tower down the track
But you'll be hearin' from me, baby, long after I'm gone
I'll be speakin' to you sweetly from a window in the Tower of Song.

Yeah, my friends are gone and my hair is grey
I ache in the places where I used to play
And I'm crazy for love but I'm not comin' on.
I'm just payin' my rent everyday in the Tower of Song.

Leonard Cohen

No comments: