"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

17 February 2014

Perceptions.


I’ve written a goodly number of novels and novellas but they sometimes strike me as extra burly flesh on the true bones of my life though a few of them approach some of the conditions of poetry.  There is the additional, often shattering notion gotten from reading a great deal of anthropology, that in poetry our motives are utterly similar to those who made cave paintings or petroglyphs, so that studying your own work of the past is to ruminate over artifacts, each one a signal, a remnant of a knot of perceptions that bring back to life who and what you were at the time, the past texture of what has to be termed as your “soul life.”

Jim Harrison, from The Shape of the Journey

Thank You, Poetessa.

No comments: