"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

04 September 2011

Lifted.


Death is so sure of his victory that even gives you a lifetime advantage.

- Luigi Boccherini

As I write, I am preparing the popcorn which will accompany yet another viewing of the movie version of Patrick O'Brien's Master and Commander. Last night I was seredipitously reminded of the movie when Luigi Boccherini's uplifting La Musica Noturna della strade di Madrid showed up on the iPod ... you should've seen me dancing on the picnic table ... well, maybe not.

A friend has recently inspired me to think about how and why music moves me. The spirit is lifted in many sublime ways, but music is transcendental. Being outdoors, enjoying art, reading, cooking, eating, and many other glorious endeavors are all enhanced when music is present.

But, it's in the moment -- now -- when music most assuredly makes the moment. Like a dervish, unaware, I'm lifted as I can not, alone, lift myself.

Living.

Last night Boccherini lifted me.

Boccherini, "La Musica Notturna Delle Strade di Madrid," no. 6, op. 30 ... a great dance song

No comments: