"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

16 December 2009

Everything is interesting. Look closer.



Keri Smith has created another wonder. Subtitled, "Portable Life Museum," How To Be An Explorer Of The World is a manual for the observer, the collector, the wanderer of the world ... an invitation to "come and see." I can't put it down. I have begun using it as a source for journal prompts for my students.

The book contains 59 explorations ranging in focus from "Right Where You Are Sitting," to "Sound Map," "Blind Observation," to "Found Smells."

The "introduction" to the book includes a T.S. Eliot quote that sets the tone for the entire book ...
"We shall not cease from exploration and at the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Be looking for more on THP.

No comments: