"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

02 September 2012

Books.


Kurt at Cultural Offering has invited me to participate in a project listing my five favorite books. I am to list my five favorite books and nominate five bloggers to do the same.

Books provide a threshold or a launching pad, sometimes even an inspirational escape from sameness. A course plotted to an unknown destination, the reading culture offers rewards of the imagination, where nameless possibilities are realized, and the mind wanders, dreaming.

My list of favorite books (for now, right this second, in no particular order) are …

A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West, Stephen E. Ambrose

Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke

The Shape of the Journey, Jim Harrison

Geoffrey Crayon’s Sketchbook, Washington Irving

I nominate Jess, Bryan, Jay, Randy, and you.

1 comment:

Randy French said...

Rob, Five is too many/not enough! How about, Dalva, Jim Harrison, The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway, Faceless Killers, Henning Mankell, and If I Ran the Circus, Dr. Seuss.