"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

19 July 2011

Onofri.


I first came across Enrico Onofri many years ago when I became pleasantly obsessed with the early music ensemble, Il Giardino Armonico. I remember driving to work through the autumn streets of Granville, listening as the dj on Symphony Hall explained the group's love for period arrangements of pieces played on period instruments. Further exploration led me to their concertmaster and principle violinist, Enrico Onofri, the guy who ties his fiddle around his neck with a long, white sash. His enthusiastic performance was genuinely passionate, without the convulsive, break-dance qualitity that is so common in today's classical players.

Inspiring.

Here, Onofri discusses his latest project which focuses on Mozart's 40th Symphony ...

I have a synesthetic idea of the music. In other words, I try to relate every moment, evry single phrase of evry movement, to the didtinct sense that we perceive throughout our daily life. That may be a scent, a taste, texture, or perhaps a visual image, or a memory. I am trying to link our inner wealth and our outer surface sensation, which is the gift that makes us able to feel. Consequently, the images are often abstract, but sometimes are very vivid, or scents or tastes, geometric forms, matters, states of the matter.

1



2



3 (This segment is so good!)



4



5



Enrico Onofri's official site is here.

No comments: