"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

06 November 2021

Karen Matheson, "Gleann Bhaile Chaoil"

I wish that I were there living in the glen,
I wish that I were there in Ballachulish Glen;
If I were there living in the glen
I would never leave it again, the beautiful glen that I love.
 
When I used to rise in the morning without sorrow or gloom
It was looking out on you that brought joy to my mind;
No other glen in the highlands can excel you in looks;
I am painfully distressed to be so far from you now.
 
A broad glen, true moorland, I would climb up it,
A lovely glen full of crowberries of a wonderful hue;
In summer and in winter your cover is so green;
There's nothing made by nature that doesn't grow on your banks.
 
When the sun rises on it it would be great to be there,
It's so liberally, kindly and warmly shining on the trees
It's waking the blackbirds and the thrushes on the branches
Which are greeting with their music its grandeur in the sky.

No comments: