"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 December 2019

Refuge.


The "Scriptorium" serves as Keen's refuge from the road and his writing sanctuary. For days at a stretch, he'll hole up on the ranch immersed in solitude.

"It takes about two days to just calm down and not be around people," he says. "But then you find a space that's not available to you just walking around in the world. I don't have a TV, and I turn off my phone. I have a little fridge here with tons of deer sausage, and I get some white bread and tortillas."

Keen picks up his guitar, revealing a 9mm Beretta pistol stowed in the case, and sits at the writing desk strumming chords. A black-and-white photo of Willie Nelson onstage in the Seventies hangs behind him, and a poster of Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood stares coldly over his shoulder. He admits to an obsession with the film, so much so that his cowboy hat was custom made in replica of Lewis' character's, and he's built a screened enclosure on the ranch he calls the Daniel Plainview field office.

CONNECT

No comments: