"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

09 November 2019

Tragedy.


Everything was on fire. You could hear the smashing. Every store in the section of Frankfurt we lived in was Jewish. The next morning, there was broken glass all over and the synagogues were burnt.

I remember seven men in uniform came into our apartment and said, “Any male person has to report right away to the police station.” My father went and didn’t come back. Nobody knew what was going on. It turned out that they were transported to Buchenwald. My father was there for three months.

When I came to school the next morning, only half my class was there because anybody who wasn’t born in Germany – even if one of your parents wasn’t born in Germany – was shipped out of the country overnight.

Ruth Greenwald

CONNECT

Elie Wiesel: Kristallnacht, The Beginning of the Tragedy ...

No comments: