"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

28 March 2019

Imagine.

You can't imagine what it's like.  There was the green, this grass, that just went on forever, and the clay, the infield, the dirt of the infield, so brown, and the bases were so white and the scoreboard with all of that news, you know, Ballantine beer, and what was happening in Detroit, all the news, it was this big gigantic place ...

There was a great deal of respect in that building, for the past, and for the game.

Billy Crystal



I was hit the same way when I walked up the steps to our seats in old Tiger Stadium and saw the lush green of the grass and the glaring white of the Tigers' uniforms the day my Dad took me to see my first game, May 15, 1976.  I saw Mark Fidrych pitch.

No comments: