"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

10 March 2018

Experience.


I like to think that I was a member of the French
Resistance though I was only three years old and lived on
a farm in Northern Michigan when Germany invaded
France, and unforgivable act but then the seams of
history burst with the unforgivable.  The mind itself is a
hoax that feeds on its own fanciful stories.  In Marseille
the Germans cut off my feet at the ankle and left me for
dead as they say, I cauterized my stumps on the coals of
a bonfire near the Vieux Port and took several weeks to
crawl over the hills past Cassis to Bandol.  The German
soldiers ignored me crawling along with my knees
wrapped in burlap.  In Bandol I was recognized as the
Mapman by a vintner and I was smuggled back to
Marseille under the straw of a cartload of pigs.  Pig shit
repels prying noses.  I was hidden behind a false wall in
the basement of a bakery from which I helped direct the
routes of passage through the countryside of the
Resistance from my candlelit table spread with the maps
of war.  Intensely detailed maps of southern France were
my wall paper and improbably intimate to me.  We lost
thousands of brave men but saved thousands or so they
said.  Sandrine who worked at the bakery sent down
nude photos of herself and I thought of these photos
as maps of the mysteries of women.  I grew too fat on all the
bread sent down to me with summer vegetables.  I began
to grow thin in November when a Nazi colonel set up a
desk in the bakery to avoid the bitterness of the Mistral
and the employees had to be careful about the use of the
dumbwaiter.  Once in the middle of the night someone
courageous sent down a case of simple red wine which I
drank in two days to experience the glories and ample
delusions of drunkenness.  I even tried to dance to
silence on my healed stumps, an unsuccessful venture.  
The logical question anyone might ask is how an
American could be of any use to the Resistance?

Jim Harrison

No comments: