"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

07 June 2010

Learn.


I have enjoyed Derrick Jensen's writing (Walking On Water: Reading, Writing, Revolution and A Language Older Than Words) because they made me think.

They also made me question, identify, hope, reflect, and keep dreaming.

In the past year my reading habits have shifted. A friend calls them head books. I prefer soul. Jensen, Zinker, Toole, Schiffman, Pearce, Ruiz, Forman, Freke, Scruton, Campbell, Emerson ... they made me realize that I wasn't alone in thinking the "crazy" thoughts I have about culture, love, kids, education, justice ... living.

And they have taught me.

I have learned.

I've tried to maintain this blog as a place of edification; free of rants and outrage. That being said, I would like to offer some advice to anyone who is struggling.

Don't give up. Each day is an adventure to the extent that you make it one. Live it that way.

Pray.

Love your family and friends ... and let them love you.

Listen.

Smile. Find a reason to! Do it!

Make someone's day and watch what happens to yours.

Love kids. Guide them. Support them. Don't force them. They're smarter than that ... and you can learn from them.

Find an outlet for your own unique creativity.

Don't criticize. Be curious. (Thanks Dr. Gerlach)

It is not possible to recover from atrocity in isolation. It is, in fact, precisely this isolation that induces the atrocities. If we wish to stop the atrocities, we need merely step away from the isolation. There is a whole world waiting for us, ready to welcome us home. It has missed us sorely as we have missed it. And it is time to return. Godspeed.
- Derrick Jensen, the last paragraph of A Language Older Than Words

No comments: