"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

01 April 2021

Never.


A PASSING SHIP

A passing ship, I have found the open ocean 
Give me no lip, the waves roll by as I press on 
A sunlit sea, on the first day in April 
How fresh the wind, will you miss me when I'm gone 

How many words, how many songs still unwritten 
How many ships of the line have come and gone 
In the good old days, may they never be forgotten 
They had heavy wind or they had no wind at all 

A passing ship, it is midnight on the ocean 
Had a real long trip, I have been at sea all winter 
When my ship came in, I was giving up the ghost 
I think I should be, leaving those passing ships alone 

When the sea runs high, the sea runs wild and I'm unsteady 
And I think of you, in the warmth of your home and family 
When love is true, there is no truer occupation 
And may this gale, blow us to the ones we love 

Another day, another ocean 
Give me no lip, but stand aside as I pass on 
A sunlit sea, on the last day of October 
How fresh the wind, will you miss me from now on 
I guess I should be leaving passing ships alone

Gordon Lightfoot

No comments: