12 August 2012
An old wooden church at Kärsämäki dating from 1765 was demolished and replaced by another in a new location in 1841, Not long ago the idea of rebuilding the original wooden church arose in the North Ostrobothnian parish, but as there was not enough documentation to work with, a decision was made to build a new, modern church on the site using 18th century methods.
Its architectural objectives included a simple, archaic atmosphere and good weather resistance. The building comprises a log-built "core" and a black, tarred shingle clad "cloak", between which are the vestibules, vestry and storeroom. A person entering the church is guided through a dimly lit space towards the lighter coloured hall lit with a roof lantern. When it is dark the church is lit with glass lanterns, with candles inside, and tinplate lanterns carried by churchgoers.
Read the rest at The Museum of Architecture.