"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

09 August 2011

Away.

Chez Panisse chef, David Tanis, is leaving the world-famous restaurant after being at the helm for 30 years.



Back to Chez Panisse: what motivates this decision to leave permanently?
I've been there a very long time, off and on, over the space of thirty years. While it feels like home, sometimes it's good to leave home. I've come to enjoy writing more and more. In college, I thought I'd end up going in that direction, but instead chose cooking — or "me" or something. But I kept exploring that side here and there, and then based upon the success of the cookbooks, here we are.

Chez Panisse is celebrating its fortieth anniversary this year. This month, in fact. Having been there for most of those years, I wanted to make sure that I was around for that celebration. This is one of those places where you can run away and then come back, and Alice has sort of seen this coming. In the 90s I went away for a few years to New Mexico and opened a restaurant, then I came back for a few years, and then in 2001 I ran away to Paris. This last phase has lasted five or six years, and it has been lovely, but now it's time to run away again.


Read the rest at Eater.



This way to Mecca.

No comments: