"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

01 January 2010

In praise of JHM





“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.” -Tennessee Williams

I have known my friend, John, for half of my life. He is one of the most genuine people I have ever met. Much of what I enjoy in life has been introduced to me or enhanced through my friendship with John. He is a Renaissance Man, the consummate learner ... always researching ... and very adept at teaching. Food, music (especially bluegrass), drink, engineering, cartography, drink, hiking, trains, weather, electricity, politics, birds, trees, carpentry, bikes ... my friend lives life extraordinarily. Not extravagantly, extraordinarily.

He is patient but no push-over. Compassionate and understanding. One of my favorite things about him is that he is one of the rare people the the planet who not only understands my childish, immature, and sometimes "inappropriate" sense of humor, he encourages it and participates right along with me.

I'm proud to to call John my friend, and humble that he calls me his.

Thanks, buddy.

No comments: