"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

09 June 2016

Wild-winding.


TO MY OATEN REED  

Thou warble wild of rough rude melody!  
How oft I've woo'd thee, often thrown thee by; 
In many a doubtful rapture touching thee,  
Waking thy rural notes in many a sigh:  
Fearing the wise, the wealthy, proud and high, 
Would scorn as vain thy lowly extasy;  
Deeming presumptuous thy uncultur'd themes. 
Thus vainly courting Taste's unblemish'd eye,  
To list a simple Labourer's artless dreams,  
Haply I wander into wide extremes. 
But O thou sweet wild-winding rhapsody,  
Thou jingling charm that dost my heart control; 
I take thee up to smother many a sigh,
And lull the throbbings of a woe- worn soul.

John Clare

No comments: