"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

06 October 2010

Visualize.


“If you want everyone to have the same mental model of a problem, the fastest way to do it is with a picture,” says David Sibbet, a visualization expert who has spent the past three decades consulting for large firms. He often works as a “keynote listener,” sitting in on meetings and drawing infographics to depict the issues raised. These images provoke aha moments far more often than typed or verbal summaries.

Read the rest here.

I've been struggling with teaching some concepts of geography to my students, so lately I've been drawing on the blackboard in my classroom. In trying to orally describe how landforms affect climate, I was met with 26 5th graders looking at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears. Then, I drew a picture and light bulbs appeared above their heads. As a result I've been allowing well-labeled drawings to be used in answering some assessment questions, as well. Some students, like me, are able to more fully and effectively express ideas with pictures rather that words.

No comments: