"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

15 February 2018

Lyle Lovett, "Pantry"

My dear, I have something to ask you
And I'll try to get it right
You've heard the Light Crust Doughboys
All sing of Martha White

Oh, the way to someone's heart, dear
That old expression's true
So as long as we're apart
Here's my request of you

Don’t cheat on me with cornbread
Don’t cheat on me with beans
And don't cheat on me with bacon
Cooked up in collard greens
And don't cheat on me with biscuits
With jelly sweet and blue
Keep it in that place
Where you know it will be true

Keep it in your pantry

Now, I hate that I am leaving
And leaving you behind
But soon I'll be returning
With a healthy appetite
Oh, and if you are not hungry
As you once were before
I'll know you have betrayed me
Behind that kitchen door

Keep it in your pantry

Now, I've dined the whole world over
I've had the fries of France
The melons of Verona
And the sausage of Gdansk
No matter where I've been to
From Houston down to Rome
Nothing's quite as tasty
As what's cooking right at home

Keep it in your pantry

No comments: