"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

26 July 2017

Imperfect.

Young, Into the Sun, 2011


As I search daily for inspiration, I am confronted by New. Everywhere I look, there are new buildings, cars, and products of all description. My disinterest in these things can be numbing. I am looking for the imperfect facade, face, and moment of truth. It’s that moment that portrait photographers wait for so they can capture the real you. This may happen when you let down your guard, or when age takes its toll, or maybe when nobody is looking. But, it’s always there and no amount of vinyl siding, or Botox can hide it. Urban renewal erases the history of place, and it seems that new construction has long been deemed the solution to any problem. As farms and turn-of-the-century factory buildings are razed to make way for rows of identical houses, we are left with a sterile environment. So while society moves along driving identical cars, searching out the latest identical fashion, and sleeping in identical houses, I will continue my search for old wrinkled people, and weathered farmhouses.

Jay Young

CONNECT

No comments: